6.17.2013

Jesus, Jesus


Last week I was asked to speak in Sacrament meeting about Reverence. As I was thinking about my talk I had a sweet experience that I need to record and share with family. At first felt a little uncomfortable speaking on reverence where most of the members of our ward have been interrupted or disturbed by our little Capri at one point or another in their Sunday meetings.  As in infant, Capri had colic for the first 5 months of life.  We took her to church the first time when she was three weeks old.  Landon and I took turns standing outside holding Capri while she cried for three hours straight without napping. We had to stand outside the building because her cry was so high pitched that it was hard on people’s nerves and so loud that it could be heard throughout the building.  As we left church that day Landon said “congratulations Capri, I think you are the worst baby in the church.”  Which was saying something, because our California nursery had two or three nurseries! The following week was the same but this time when we left Landon said “congratulations Capri, I think you are the worst baby in the entire Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints.”  After a long five months thankfully Capri grew out of her colic and now into a very beautiful, intelligent, but still loud and spirited toddler where we rarely have a quiet and calm moment.  A few weeks ago we came home from church feeling completely defeated.  I put her straight to bed hoping to have a peaceful moment during the remainder of  our Sunday afternoon. Much sooner than I was ready, I heard noises coming from our bedroom where Capri was napping.  I cracked open the door to see that she had found the church program and was kissing picture of the Savior over and over again.  In between her big MUAHs she would whisper Jesus, Jesus.  A sweetness filled the room, and I knew I was seeing in my daughter, a love for the Savior born of experiences before she came to me.  With one word and several kisses, she had taught me greatly about using the Lord’s name with reverence.  We will continue to teach her the importance of being quiet during our Sunday meetings, but I know now that she has a great love and reverence for our Savior Jesus Christ and understands much more about reverence than I thought.   As I prepared my talk I really understood that reverence is more than merely keeping our children and ourselves quiet, it is a profound love and respect for our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ.  I hope that I can live a more reverent life, a life more reflective of my love for my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ.  Thank you Capri for the sweet lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment